Urgent and Interim applications

What is an interim application?

If you need a temporary decision under an enabling law, you will need to file an Interim Application form in addition to the standard application form.

For example, if you have been served with a notice that requires the demolition of a building by a particular date, you may be applying for a review of the notice. However, you may also need to file an interim application for a 'stay order' to ‘freeze’ the notice until your application has been heard.

Note that SAT may require an undertaking as to costs or damages as it considers appropriate.

What do I do if my application is urgent?

Apply to SAT in the usual way, and tell the counter officer that the matter is urgent. If you need an interim application, submit the additional Interim Application form as discussed above.

Human Rights and Interim Applications

Human Rights do not have urgent interim application forms that need to be completed in supporting an urgent application.  If your matter is urgent then you need to identify it and give the reasons for the urgency in the application itself.  This will be addressed upon lodgement with the case managers in the Human Rights Stream.

Do I need to lodge any documents with an interim application?

Yes. If you make an urgent or interim application, you should also file a signed statement explaining why you require this type of application. This will help SAT determine whether the matter is urgent and whether any stay, injunction or other order should be granted.

You should also lodge any important documents or materials that might support your application.

If you require an interim order for an application under the Strata Titles Act 1985, you should attach it to your main application.

For more information contact SAT.

Last updated: 1-May-2019

[ back to top ]